Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Making a quilted bag

Well, I see that I haven't posted anything on here in ONE YEAR! That is pretty bad. I vow to be better! Maybe just six months will go by between blog posts now...

Seriously....I have been working on my first bag pattern. I went through a semi painful learning curve several months ago and just looked at a bunch of tutorials for checkbook covers, pouches and eventually tote bags. Nothing with a zipper. I went a little crazy using up scraps.

Now I have no idea what to do with all of these!



I branched out with curved and multiple pockets.

 
I have a friend, Jessica Vanderburgh, who is a bag designer, and I looked at a few of her patterns for your basic measurements and such.
 

 For anyone who is familiar with my designs, I design patchwork quilts with precuts. So, I wanted to design a patchwork bag using precut fabrics (and write a pattern for it). I added an optional zipper pocket to the directions for those who want a zipper. It turns out putting in a zipper pocket is so easy!


The above picture is my bag with Shades of Black Fabric by Me & My Sister by Moda. Those are all of the ingredients plus the medium weight interfacing (which is already ironed onto the back of the lining and straps).


Here is the bag all made up.

 
This bag is made with just one charm pack from Hoffman Batik fabric.



This is the pattern cover with all 4 bags. Comma fabric, Hoffman Batik, Shades of Black & Juggling Summer.

I made 4 bags. The one with the Comma fabric I took to quilt market with me. I am sure the only reason I got the bag DONE was because I had a looming deadline. I am very stuck in my ways and I tend to put off learning new techniques, so the bag was very different for me and the zipper was also a big deal for me!

I used just one charm pack for each bag for the outer body of the bag. I LOVE precut fabric and this is a perfect example of why. You get this fantastic variety of colors and prints for the price of one Charm Pack. Pretty awesome. This would be a great project for someone with a decent stash as well. You just need 32 squares 5" x 5" and you may be able to use your stash for the lining and handles and bottom fabrics.

I am naming this pattern "Teacher's Pet" because I am making one for each of my kids teachers and I will give it to them for an end of the year present. I am pretty excited about that, they will be really happy and they are all such wonderful teachers!

Good luck to you! Maybe it is your turn to try something new??




2 comments:

  1. Thank you! I am working on one more (same pattern), I will write about it when it is done!

    ReplyDelete